Underwriter, Real Estate Finance
- £40,000 - 50,000 per annum
- Financial Services, Property & Real Estate Finance
- 12th July 2017
- Job Type
Our client is an established provider of short term lending facilities secured against commercial and residential property in England and Wales on a first and second charge basis. Focusing on the intermediary community, the business provides property owners, investors and developers with bespoke solutions to their finance needs.
The Underwriter’s main duties will include, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
Case management and third-party communication
- Responsibility and management of cases from point of valuation to completion, including liaising with solicitors, valuer’s and brokers;
- Management of broker and client communications following handover from Sales;
- Updating the management team on the status of cases on a regular basis
- Oversight of Underwriting Assistant’s work on transactions.
Transaction due dilligence and risk assessment
- Borrower risk assessment, including assessment of clients’ background, credit reports and financial status, including affordability assessment where necessary;
- Property risk assessement, including of Security Properties including third party valuation, viability of development (if applicable), any issues raised in conveyancing and viability of borrowers exit proposal(s);
- Ensuring all transactions fit within the company’s Credit Policy and identifying changes where necessary;
- Identifying transaction risks and recommending appropriate mitigation where possible;
- Preparing summary reports of each loan for Credit Committee review.
Other general responsibilities
- Ensuring the Company’s compliance policies e.g. AML/data protection etc., are adhered to and any issues are reported to the Compliance Officer;
- Assist the Redemptions and Collections dept. where necessary.
Pre-Requisite Knowledge Requirments
- Good knowledge of the mortgage / lending sector;
- Understanding of development process and lifecycle;
- Ability to interpret credit reports from all major agencies;
- Good knowledge of industry regulation including MCD/MCOB, AML, regulated vs non regulated deals;
- Up to date knowledge of the property sector;
- Working knowledge of MS Office toolset;
- Knoweldge of Target Bluchip software (preferred but not a must).
Education / Work Experience
- Mandated property underwriting experience;
- Property / Finance related background;
- University level education / extensive work experience in relevant field;
- CEMAP qualified (preferred but not a must).